Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Cam's Check-up
Little man had his one month check-up this morning. He is definitely a growing boy! He's now 11 lbs 12 oz and 23 inches long!
Poor buddy has a case of baby acne on his face, neck and back but it should go away in the next couple of months according to his pediatrician. He has just started to smile sometimes when you talk to him which is just the cutest thing! Also in the past couple of days I've noticed him try to "talk" a few times, making a few little vocal sounds.
If you remember, over the summer I made a couple of posts about his kidneys. As a brief recap, while I was pregnant with him, an ultrasound revealed that his kidneys were slightly dilated, so they wanted to monitor the issue with additional periodic ultrasounds. Toward the end of my pregnancy, I had a final ultrasound which confirmed that his kidneys were normal size and the issue "corrected itself" like the doctors predicted. However, as a precaution, my doctor still wanted to have an ultrasound done on him after he was born just to make sure we were in the clear. So Camden had an ultrasound at the hospital the day after he was born, and then another one yesterday. Today at his one month check-up his pediatrician gave me the results, which were not what we expected! Apparently both of his kidneys are dilated now. The left one is classified as mild and the right one is moderate. This "condition" is a very long P-word that I can't spell, and I'm too lazy to get up and look at the paperwork so I can share it. I've been researching it all day and frankly I'm confused about it and my head hurts from all the information and terminology. Anyway, because the issue is still present, Cam's pediatrician has referred him to a pediatric urologist who he will see in October to check out the issue further. They will look at his bladder, kidneys, urinary tract, etc. to figure out what is causing it. The likely cause is a backflow of urine into the kidneys (reflux), so Cam has to take antibiotics to prevent a urinary tract infection. If it is reflux, I am told he should "outgrow" it by 6 months or so. If not, surgery is needed to correct it. I am not sure what the other causes could be other than the reflux, but we will find all that out when we see the urologist.
His pediatrician has assured me that it's not extremely serious at this point, just something to "monitor". Though we are extremely grateful that Cam has no MAJOR health issues, just a minor issue to keep an eye on, it is still nerve racking and worrisome!
Soo, with all that being said, if you could keep this little guy in your prayers we would certainly appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment